Walk Schedule & Mileage Estimates - (as of 10/4/17)
Itinerary for Event
|Time||Miles||Cum. Miles||Avg mph||Time (hrs)||Cum. Time|
|Millburn Sta./Locust Grove*||7:15 AM||0|
|Northfield Ave Overpass||9:30 AM||5||5||1.82||2.75||2.75|
|Prospect & Eagle Rock||12:00 AM||5.5||10.5||3.00||2.0||4.75|
|Lunch Break (30 min.)||11:30 PM||0||10.5||0.0||0.5||5.25|
|Verona Park Bloomfield Ave||1:30 PM||3.5||14.0||3.5||1.0||6.25|
|Mountain Ave Train Sta.**||4:00 PM||7||20.0||2.5||2.5||8.75|
|Brookdale Park||5:00 PM||2.5||22.5||2.5||.1.0||9.75|
|GS Parkway Crosswalk||5:30 PM||1||23.5||2.0||0.5||10.25|
|Branch Brook Light Rail***||6:30 PM||5.5||29||2.6||1.5||11.75|
|Rt 280 Underpass||8:00 PM||2.5||31.5||2.5||1.0||12.75|
|Newark - Penn Station||9:00 PM||2.5||34||2.5||1.0||13.75|
* Morristown-Dover NJ Transit Train Station - to/from - Newark / New York
** Montclair-Boonton NJ Transit Train Station - to/from - Newark / New York
*** Newark Subway Light Rail - alternate quick transportation to Newark train stations
Trains will be running on a regular schedule for Columbus Day - not a holiday schedule.
Starting: (Sunrise: 7:01)
1) We convene at South Mountain, Locust Grove parking area on Glen Ave behind the Millburn Train Station between 6:30-6:45. Park there and not the train station. We’ll shuttle if we have to for carpooling.
2) Need Coffee+? Millburn Diner is 1 block away on Essex, Starbucks close, etc.
3) When you arrive, sign sheet with name, town & cell#, get Pin number
4) We will wait for the NYC train arrival scheduled for 6:59 a.m. (#6305 from Penn Sta. 6:10 - transfer at Newark No Broad station to #0607 6:33) arrives at Millburn 6:59.
5) Briefing & Group Photo will be at Locust Grove: 7:05 a.m.
6) We start walking the trail as soon as we can after 7:15 a.m.
Finishing Info: (Sunset: 6:25 - dark by 7:00)
1) Penn Station Newark is the official end - but No. Broad St Station is alternative end.
2) Some last five miles alternatives – may depend on time – do as a group if possible
- Stay on Lenape Trail through park following planned route - (not recommended after dark)
- Walk down Bloomfield Ave - connects eventually with Broad St. and downtown
- Take Newark Light Rail (subway) from Branch Brook Park Stop (@ Grafton Ave.) $1.50/frequent/15 minute ride to Penn Station Newark (total miles walked would be about 28).
3) End at Penn Station – call at the end. Or, end at No. Broad St. Station. Get a finishing photo.
Optional Walks (for those that want less than 34 miles)
1) Locust Grove - Mayapple Start at the beginning and hike through South Mountain Reservation on the natural Lenape Trail to Cedar Ave above Pleasant Valley Way. Allow 2 mph pace. Follow yellow trail blazes. Enjoy nature and a brisk walk with some elevation. Carpooling may be possible. Mileage=6 miles - moderate-hard 7:15 - 10:00 a.m.
2) Mayapple - Verona Park Start parking lot (So. Mountain Resv.) /Cedar Ave/Pleasant Valley Way
We should be at the this parking lot which you access by going up Cedar Ave. its about 1/2 mile north of
Northfield Ave. Start there /park there? From there you can continue to Verona Park @ Bloomfield Ave. Park on Pleasant Valley way right before Bloomfield Ave. MIleage=8 miles - pretty easy 10:00 - 1:00 p.m.
3) Verona Park – Brookdale Park Start @ Bloomfield Ave and
This is a tougher walk being mostly in the woods thru West Essex Trail and Mills Reseervation but a real
nice hike. Mileage = 9 miles 1:00 - 5:00 (more challenging
Any questions? firstname.lastname@example.org