The Lenape 34 is a difficult trek if you are attempting to walk the entire 34 miles. However, there are some logical options we've learned from the previous walks on this trail.
1) Starting - Most participants begin together at our start in Millburn. If you get off the train from NY on the westbound side of the Millburn train station go thru parking lot and cross Glen Ave to enter the Locust Grove entrance to the South Mountain Reservation. You can park in Locust Grove and we'll gather there for the start at the beginning of the trail
2) Cedar Ave. Lot (6 miles out - allow at least 3 hours) - This is a popular place to drop off and also to join. You go up Cedar Ave. from the Pleasant Valley Way near the intersection of Northfield Ave or from Northfield Ave. Cedar is a circle so look for a parking lot near the southern end where the trail first opens up (closer to Northfield Ave). This is our traditional carpooling site where you can probably get a ride back.
3) Whole Foods - Prospect & Eagle Rock (10 miles out - allow 5 hours) - This is the traditional lunch spot and a good chance you can catch a ride if you are with someone in the same situation. We typcially have a few walkers cutting out here.
4) Bloomfield Ave Verona - (13 miles out - 6 hours) - Major intersection with Verona Park and right before we start heading into the woods again. Usually easy to park along Pleasant Valley Way before Bloomfield Ave. Busses pass this way.
5) Mountain Ave Train Station, Upper Montclair (20 miles - 9 hours) - We litterally pass by this NJ Transit train station which probably runs trains at least hourly to NYC and north toward Netcong. One or two walkers have been know to join us or leave.
6) Brookdale Park, Bloomfield (22 miles - 10 hours) We pass thru Brookdale which is popular and easy to park. Traditionally we take a short break near the garden / big flag near the entrance road coming from Grove St. Good place for final drop off if tired or problems before making the rest of trip toward Newark
7) Branch Brook Light Rail (26 miles - 11.5 hours) The last chance to avoid the walk in the dark in Newark. There's a well-lit rail stop that takes you to downtown Newark train stations.
Contact Paul Kiczek for carpooling coordinating - email@example.com 973-214-1811. If you need a ride or can take somebody back to a car or a convenient location.
p.s. - Refer to the latest itinerary for details on above. Keep in mind that if you parked in Millburn you need to finish at the North Broad Station and NOT Penn Station, Newark. They are about a mile or two from each other in downtown Newark. The final official stop is Penn Station, but getting to North Broad is considered a finish (with a slight deduction for the shortage ;-)