Here is the recommended checklist for all walkers on preparation for the Lenape34 Walk:
Prior to Walking:
- Get Adequate Sleep - get to bed early, at least the night before, to be adequately rested. This is especially important to finish the entire 34 miles.
- Have Supplies Ready - get your clothes, food and other supplies ready to go the night before.
- Eat a Light Breakfast - have a light breakfast before you leave the house so that you are ready to walk. This is especially true if you are walking from Millburn to Newark,
- Have Support Friend On Call – Have someone you can call if you run into a problem or need to get home in a hurry.
- Know Options to Get Home - For many walkers, it will mean a train ride back. Get schedule of trains you might need to get back. Here are the NJ Transit Train Schedules you might need. Trip Planner – Morris-Essex Line - Montclair-Boonton Line
Supplies to Take Along:
- 2 Water Bottles – 12, 16 or 20 oz and means to carry. Tip: Fill ½ then freeze overnight, fill to top with water.
- Hat – a cap with some kind of brim to provide shade while walking. For this walk, maybe 40% of time could be out in sun.
- Food – any high carbohydrates. Power bars, dried fruit, pasta, mashed potatoes, rice, candy, etc. “Gorp” is an old standby with granola or nuts, dried fruit (raisins, craisins, etc.) and M&M’s. Continuously eating small amounts is the best strategy for a long endurance event. You can also take your own lunch with you or purchase at our break. It’s carbs – ongoing, protein at breaks.
- Cell Phone – (or be accompanied by someone who has cell phone)
- Basics – ID/Wallet, money, credit/debit card (for train ride),
- Carrying Pack - (optional) Fanny pack, back pack or sling pack. Depends on what you are carrying. Lighter the better. Cargo pants or sharing with someone else may be sufficient. See #4 Top Ten Tips.
- Jacket – (optional) an outer shell if weather looks like possibility of rain and/or cold. Could provide warmth if needed. Alternative would be umbrella. (weather report looks favorable at this time so may not be needed.)
- Extra Socks (optional) – 1 extra pair of socks to change into if needed.
- Rehydrate - asap drink adequate water or gatorade first. Best if not too cold.
- Refuel - eat some carbs and protein. You may feel very hungry or too exhausted to eat. Either way begin to eat something. Don't feel like you have to eat a lot because of the energy you burned – it depends on what your body wants.